Old Oak is part of the Peabody Group. You can contact Peabody here.

As a leaseholder, you are responsible for most of the repairs that might occur inside your property.

This includes wiring, plumbing, gas, fixtures and fittings within the property. But there are certain repairs that we can help with. Please ensure that you read the information on this page before you report a repair.


Report a repair


To report a repair online, please use our online form

Call us

To report a repair over the phone, please contact our Customer Care Line on 0300 123 2209

About repairs

If you need to report a repair, please read the information below.

First, please check the Leaseholder Handbook to see whose responsibility it is and the response times for your type of repair.

Please remember that we have no obligation to repair anything that has been damaged or misused by you or your family or visitors, or anything that does not belong to us. If we have to carry out such a repair for health and safety reasons, please be aware that we shall have to re-charge you for the cost. We will not usually carry out routine repairs that are the leaseholder’s responsibility.

If we do carry out work inside your flat, we will usually only do work which is required under the terms of your lease and you will be charged accordingly.

If you think the repair is our responsibility, please call us on 0300 123 2209 to report the repair. We will confirm whether or not we can do the repair and, if appropriate, will arrange an appointment for a contractor to visit you within the agreed response time for that type of repair. Sometimes it may be necessary for one of our surveyors to visit you to inspect the problem first and, if so, the Customer Care Line Officer will make you an appointment.

Out of hours

If you need to report a repair outside office opening hours, including at weekends or on a public holiday, please check that the repair is a Priority 1 (emergency) repair. If you are sure it is, then please ring 0300 123 3456. This is the Out of Hours Hotline, which will arrange for a contractor to visit your home within 24 hours. The contractor will do their best to complete the work, but may have to simply make things safe or do a temporary repair until the usual contractor can come on the next working day.

If the repair is not an emergency, please wait until our office is open and report it in the normal way.

Please be aware that if you call out the emergency repairs contractor for a repair which is subsequently deemed not to be an emergency, you will be charged for the cost of the work. Also, please remember that as a leaseholder you are responsible for internal repairs to your home – such as plumbing or boiler breakdowns – and you will be re-charged if you try to use the out of hours service instead of a private contractor.

Communal repairs

All communal repairs are dealt with either as an emergency – if the repair poses significant risk to anyone, or as a more routine repair which will be carried out by the next available appointment.

Emergency repairs

Emergency repairs are required when there are serious health and safety and/or security risks, or where immediate work is needed to prevent major damage to your home. In these cases we will raise an order for the contractor to visit as quickly as possible and complete the work or make your home safe within 24 hours. Emergency repairs can include:

  • Lift breakdowns
  • Complete loss of electricity – we are responsible for any faults up to the meter in your property. If the fault is your side of the meter, you must call out your own electrician.
  • Damage to windows or doors frames which makes the home insecure
  • Blocked communal drains where there is only one WC

Please remember you are responsible for most emergencies inside your home and you should call your own contractor, not the Old Oak Housing repairs service. If you call out the emergency repairs contractor for a repair which is subsequently deemed not to be an emergency, you will be charged for the cost of the work. You will also be re-charged if you use the out of hours service instead of a private contractor.

Major works, cyclical and preventative maintenance

Some repairs may need to be more extensive and will often be carried out under a large one-off contract or an ongoing service contract. We have a legal duty to carry out detailed consultation with you when we expect large out of the ordinary costs or when we are tendering day-to-day maintenance contracts. We have a planned maintenance programme which determines when key elements of your building are replaced. Examples of this kind of repair include

  • Repairing or replacing common elements of your property as they wear out, e.g. roofs, wiring and lighting in common parts
  • External and common area repairs and redecoration
  • Repairing and replacing windows
  • Maintaining and replacing lifts

Gas servicing & emergencies

We do not carry out gas servicing for leaseholders. However, we strongly recommend you to service gas appliances (boilers, gas fires and other gas appliances) every year and you must use a Gas Safe registered gas fitter. Faulty gas appliances can kill so it is in your interest to do this.

If you are subletting your flat, you have a legal duty to service gas appliances annually. You can be sent to prison if you fail to meet your legal obligations. For more information, please visit the Health & Safety Executive website.

If you can smell gas or suspect that you may have a gas leak you must call the National Grid on 0800 111 999 immediately.



Do you look after the outside of my home and communal areas?
We will aim to decorate the outside of your property and any shared communal areas regularly. You will receive plenty of notice about this. We will consult you on costs and ask you about colour schemes and so on, if this applies. You will be required to contribute your proportion of the cost.
What if I can’t carry out the repair myself?
If you are elderly or have serious disabilities or health problems and feel that you cannot get the repair done even though it is your responsibility, please contact our Customer Care Line on 0300 123 2209 and explain your situation. The Customer Care Line Officer will tell you whether or not we can help and may refer you on to another agency. There are a number of things that we take into account apart from your age and health, such as any nuisance or harassment you may be suffering where this is linked to the condition of your property as well as a number of other factors.
Can I make changes to my home to help me get around it?
If you are having difficulty moving around or coping in your home because of a disability or illness, please let us know as soon as possible. We may be able to assist with various small adaptations, such as fitting grab rails if you are elderly or vulnerable. More extensive adaptations would have to be recommended by an occupational therapist and we would not be able to fund major adaptations for leaseholders. You should discuss funding options with your occupational therapist.