Moving on & moving out

We hope that you will enjoy living in your home for many years, as many of our tenants do. But we also understand that, if your circumstances change, you may need to move.

You may need a larger or smaller property, have changed your job or have other reasons why you want to move out of the area altogether, such as wanting to live nearer to your family.


How we can help you move

You may need to move away urgently for personal reasons, for example, if you are suffering domestic violence or if you have developed an illness or a disability which makes it impossible for you to manage in your present home. Please let us know and we can work with you to find a solution.

If you are getting older and would like to move into sheltered accommodation, we can advise you and assist you to find a suitable scheme in the area.

If you feel the need to move because of nuisance or harassment outside your home but are otherwise quite happy to live there, please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can take action on your behalf. Only in the most extreme circumstances should it be necessary for you to move away for this kind of reason, but if we agree that there is no alternative, then we will do everything we can to help you.

Buying a home of your own

If, as a tenant, you moved into your present home before March 1999, you will be entitled to the Right to Buy your home. Please contact us for an information pack. You can make an appointment to see one of our staff, who will help you to take this forward.

If you moved in after March 1999, you will not be entitled to Right to Buy, but you can still purchase your property under the Right to Acquire. Please contact us for an information pack.

There are also other low cost home ownership opportunities that you may be interested in. You can find out more about those by visiting This will tell you all about the schemes currently operating in London.

You can also visit the Council’s website for the latest news on local schemes.

Finally, Mychoice Homebuy is a government funded, low cost home ownership scheme that enables eligible applicants to purchase a home on the open market with the help of a flexible equity loan. For further information, please contact the Homebuy Agent for West London, which is currently Aldwyck Housing Group, on 0300 5000 996.


How do I apply for a move?

We have a large Transfer List and only a limited number of homes available for transfers.

Larger homes are particularly scarce. Before applying for a transfer, please consider other ways to move that may be more realistic.

We have made important changes to the way we operate our Transfer List. We are making these changes because we are unable to meet the demand for moves and want to encourage tenants to explore all the other options available.

For more information, please read the following notes that outline the changes that have already been made and those we are making later this year.

From 1st February 2014, we restricted the Transfer list to tenants in the most urgent needs only. From this date, we only accepted new Transfer applications from tenants who had one of the following types of rehousing need.

  • Decant: This is when we need to move a tenant due to the poor condition of the property, either to repair it or in order to sell it
  • Downsizing: Tenants who want to move to a smaller home including people affected by the “Bedroom Tax”.
  • Beneficial Moves: Tenants who want to move out of one of our sheltered housing schemes or a wheelchair-accessible home to a general needs home
  • Management Transfers: Where we need to help someone move urgently due to harassment, anti-social behaviour or domestic violence, or where there are overriding social, welfare or health-related reasons
  • Move-on: tenants who are ready to move on from supported housing into a general needs home

You are also required to join a recognised mutual exchange scheme and provide evidence that you have applied to your local council before we will consider your application to join our Transfer List. The letter below was sent to all applicants explaining these changes.

From 1st April 2014, we introduced separate lists for tenants with disabilities requiring an accessible home and tenants aged 55 or over interested in moving into sheltered housing.

If you transferred to Old Oak Housing Association from Hammersmith & Fulham Housing as a part of the stock transfer in 1999, you will also be able to apply for a transfer via Hammersmith & Fulham Council (subject to their own criteria).

I’ve found a new home. What do I need to do before I move out?

Once you have arranged your move, please use the following checklist to make sure you have done everything you need to:

  • Write to us giving four weeks’ notice of your leaving date. You will have to pay rent up to this date. (If you leave without giving us any notice, you will still be liable for the rent for that period).
  • Let us in to inspect your home if necessary. If we find that the inside of your house or flat is in poor condition due to neglect or damage, we may have to charge you to put it right. If you have made any improvements, these will have to be left in place or you will have to reinstate the original fittings or layout. We may also ask you to let us show a new tenant round, so that we can re-let the property as quickly as possible.
  • Contact the companies supplying your electricity, gas and water and your telephone line to let them know the date you are leaving. You may need to take final meter readings, but they will tell you about that. If you are claiming any benefits, you will also need to inform the Council Tax and Housing Benefits offices and the Benefits Agency of your new address.
  • Get your mail redirected. The Post Office will be able to help you with this.
  • Pack up all your belongings and dispose of any rubbish. This includes carpets and any flooring you have laid. Please leave the house as clean as possible for the next tenant. The property must be cleared and you may be charged if we have to remove furniture, carpets and possession you have left behind. Anything you leave behind will be thrown away, so make sure you have taken everything with you.
  • Return the property keys to us on the day your tenancy ends (or before midday the following day). You should hand in your keys to one of our staff, and ask them for a receipt that confirms you have done this.


Improving homes and the environment, creating healthy communities where all residents can thrive


Improving homes and the environment, creating healthy communities where all residents can thrive